Bookmark and Share

Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Lunch Ride to the Roadhouse Bar & Grill in Marysville

Any time you can ride is a good day, and when you are riding with friends it is a great day. Because of the unseasonably good weather (thank God) we have been experiencing in northwest Washington, we are able to get out and ride when normally we would be sitting by a warm fire and drinking coffee on a Saturday morning in February.

My heated gear has not arrived yet (hopefully this week) so I layered on the under-armor, a shirt, a sweatshirt, my windbreaker, and then my heavy-duty leather Harley jacket. I knew it would warm up to the low 50’s later in the day so I figured I could take a little cold in the morning.

We headed out and gassed up the trike before arriving at Mt. Baker Harley-Davidson. We ride primary with the Mt. Baker Chapter Harley Owners Group (HOG) whose members we call friends and family. Saturday 2-20-10 was the first official chapter lunch ride of the year. Dave M was the lead road captain and, as her first official duties as a new road captain, Chris was the sweep. Lorie, Ed, Gary, Mike G., Peter, Larry, and I rounded out the group.

We rode down scenic Chuckanut Drive and across Skagit County to Conway where we made our first pit stop to get off the bikes, stretch, get a snack, or a cup of hot coffee. We were all amazed by the flocks of ducks we saw just as we came off Chuckanut Drive. There must have been hundreds in each flock that couldn’t quite settle down on the thin layer of water covering the farm fields. Just before we arrived in Conway it was flocks of snow geese flying/dancing in the air as the sun glinted off their wings looking like silver tinsel. Other fields were blanketed with swans basking in the morning sun. Everywhere along the road people were stopping to take photographs.

We hit the road again towards Stanwood, Warm Beach, Lake Martha, and the Roadhouse Bar & Grill. The food was good and the portions large. Breakfast was still being served so about half of us opted for breakfast and the rest had lunch. Good friendly service--the waitress raved about our trike, and probably increased her tip from Larry, while not so much from the owners of the other bikes. Food and drink and we were back on the road headed to Sound Harley.

So we were all checking out the bikes and the clothes, when Marla and Bill appeared. They had a late start in the morning and couldn’t make the chapter ride so they rode down highway 9 on their way to Darrington. After a short visit we were back on the bikes saying good-bye to Bill and Marla and we were headed back they way they had just come, highway 9.

Around Lake McMurray, Big Lake, and down Gunderson Road, Beaver Lake, Clear Lake, Sedro-Woolley, Wickersham, and a stop at the store in Acme. Peter left us at Park Road just before Acme. From here on we would slowly peel off the group and head for home.

Ed who lives in Point Roberts rode an hour and 15 minutes, crossed 2 borders, just to arrive at the shop for the lunch ride and now must reverse this trip to get home. Thanks Ed for joining us and hope to see you soon.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails